2023 Celebration of Impact Recognizes the Life-Changing Impact of Philanthropy

MaeKenzi DixonMaeKenzi Dixon is an honors graduate of Rutgers-New Brunswick who wants to reduce health care disparities for underserved populations.

A scholarship is helping the brilliant young woman pursue a physical therapy doctorate degree at Rutgers School of Health Professions – her top graduate school choice – where she is working with minority patients in a free clinic that serves the uninsured.

She shared her story at the school’s recent 2023 Celebration of Impact, an event which recognized not only students who received scholarship awards but the donors whose generosity funded them. Held in the Great Hall on Busch Campus in Piscataway, it was attended by over 150 students, alumni, faculty, and donors.

“This scholarship has been paramount in helping me achieve my goals and making a positive impact on my community,” said Dixon, a recipient of the Alma and Richard Merians Scholarship established by interim Dean, professor and chair rehabilitation and movement sciences Alma Merians and her husband. “It allows me to work to become the best clinician I can be so I can provide the highest level of care.”

For students, scholarships provide financial aid and encouragement. For donors, they are also a way to honor a loved one or support an educational program that is meaningful to them.

The Rev. Jack Zamboni and his family established a scholarship for physician assistant students as a way to memorialize his late wife, Judith Yannariello.

A biomedical researcher, Yannariello started physician assistant classes at the age of 53. She supported and encouraged her fellow students. She pushed through the program despite a diagnosis of cancer. During her clinical internship in Trenton, she became known for her empathy towards patients. She died in 2014 before completing her degree.

“She was fun and funny. She loved science for as long as she could remember and she so much wanted to use her love for science and medicine to help people,” said Zamboni. “We founded this scholarship to continue her legacy.”

Kenneth Gill, Ph.D., professor and chair of the Department of Rehabilitation and Counseling Professions, endowed a scholarship in memory of his parents – social workers who believed in supporting those who want to attend college.

“It is an honor and a privilege to support students and make a small difference in their lives,” said Gill, who established the Catherine and Kenneth T. Gill Scholarship in 2011. Faculty in the department have helped to fund it.

The scholarship recipient – a first-generation college graduate and single mother completing her master’s degree in clinical mental health and rehabilitation counseling – said the award means she can finish her degree without worrying how to make ends meet.

“As I enter the practicum portion of my degree, it has become nearly impossible to balance work, school and being a parent. This scholarship allows me to remove the stress of finances from the many things I must balance,” said Eileen Milicia.

Yet, scholarships aren’t the only way to support students. Matthew McQuillan, M.S., associate professor and chair of the Department of Physician Assistant Studies and Practice, endowed a lectureship that will bring in experts to speak to faculty and students about the importance of practicing compassionate and humanistic care even in a high-stress profession.

“It is essential to me that students continue to hear that message,” said McQuillan, who is also a program alumni.

McQuillan said that while does not consider himself someone of extreme wealth, he wanted to leave a legacy to a program that has become a valuable part of his life. “I am rich in so many ways – in my life, my family and friends and especially in working here with some really amazing people. I am very happy to be able to do this,” he said.

Merians, the interim dean, said she hopes the stories from donors and scholarship recipients inspire others to make a gift or become a mentor. “Through philanthropy, you can help shape the lives and careers of the next generation of health professionals,” she said.

To learn how you can make an impact, please reach out to Katie Mayfield, director of development,  at katie.mayfield@ruf.rutgers.edu.

Categories