Please see the link below to policy 7.1 “PhD Student Standards” which includes information on:
- Dissertation Committees / Readers
- Dissertation Proposal and Format
- Dissertation Proposal Hearing/Data Collection
- Dissertation Defense
- Post Dissertation Requirements and more
Click here to see the policy.
Dissertation Key Reminders
- Remain active with the Registrar’s Office throughout your dissertation
- Apply for graduation by the appropriate graduation deadlines
- Insert your “Final Dissertation Approval” form into your final dissertation file (committee member signatures should not be included)
- Close out your IRB as soon as possible and submit IRB closure with post dissertation requirements
- Submit all post dissertation requirements to the Office of Student Affairs before your upcoming graduation date
Students who have successfully defended their dissertations must complete all steps outlined on the PhD Candidate check list.
PhD Dissertation Check List – Candidacy through Graduation (pdf)
PhD Candidates planning to participate in the May commencement ceremony must send notification of their date to defend their dissertation to the public by March 15th. Candidates are expected to defend their dissertation by the latest, 30 days before Commencement. Candidates who have not defended their dissertation by or before 30 days before Commencement, will not be eligible to be hooded at the commencement ceremony in May. These students are eligible to be hooded at the commencement ceremony the following year.
Please see below the required candidacy forms. Approved forms should be forwarded to the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs as they are completed.
|Appointment of Dissertation Committee Form (pdf)|
|Dissertation Proposal Hearing Form (pdf)|
|Application for Public Dissertation Defense Form (pdf)|
|Doctoral Dissertation Agreement Form (pdf)|
|Final Dissertation Approval Form – Committee Chairs, please email Douglas Lomonaco @ firstname.lastname@example.org to receive this form for completion and submission after defense .|
Candidacy Forms Using Docusign (For Dissertation Committee Chairs)
Please see below instructions for Docusign for the above listed forms as well as the Final Dissertation Approval Form.
1. Sign into Canvas to access Faculty Forum.
2. Select the Faculty Forum course.
3. Look for the Student Affairs section.
4. In this section, you will see the link to access the four dissertation forms.
After students have successfully defended and made all required post defense edits, an email should be sent to Douglas Lomonaco (email@example.com) advising they are ready to move onto the next step. Students will then be advised to submit their dissertation thru RUetd. Once approved for formatting, the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs will contact the student to advise of the final requirements (see below):
Student Affairs will send an email to the student advising the following is needed and should be delivered directly to Student Affairs (student will not be cleared for graduation until all required materials are submitted):
- Submit via email the final dissertation file (send to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Submit via email Dissertation Abstract (electronic copy acceptable).
- Submit Proquest Doctoral Dissertation Agreement online with Proquest as well as Purchase 5 copies of bound dissertations (instructions will be sent from Assistant Dean for Student Affairs).
After students have received their bound copies, additional copies may be purchased through ProQuest (Rutgers orders may be placed for May 2014 graduates and beyond).
ProQuest ETD Administrator
Once students have successfully defended their Dissertation and have made all required edits (if any are needed), the student’s Dissertation Chair will advise the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. The Assistant Dean will than provide the student the information to upload their Dissertation to the ProQuest ETD Administrator where the Dissertation will be reviewed for formatting. The student will then be notified if there are any modifications required or if the Dissertation has been approved for formatting. Once approved the Assistant Dean will provide the student the final steps to complete the post-defense requirements.
Information regarding the ProQuest submission may be found @ https://www.etdadmin.com/main/home?siteId=881 .
Please note students should not submit their Dissertation to ProQuest until officially notified by the Assistant Dean.
** This process is replacing the previous submission thru RUETD.
To search for SHP graduates’ dissertations, utilize the link below and enter name, program, or date. You can also search by keywords or last initial.