Class of 2022: Jason Tammaro, Occupational Therapy Assistant

Losing His Job in the Pandemic Led Jason Tammaro to Find a Fulfilling Career Path in Occupational Therapy 

When Jason Tammaro graduated from Ramapo College in 2007 with his bachelor’s degree in communication, he thought he was well prepared for the workforce. Unfortunately, as the stock market tanked, so did the job market. Like many entering the workforce during the great recession, Tammaro struggled to gain his footing. He eventually found work in retail and ultimately became a successful sales manager. Unfortunately, eight years later, the company changed its business model and Tammaro became unemployed. 

“I felt lost and unsure of myself. I took work wherever I could find it, but I felt unfulfilled. From that adversity, I realized I could not hop from job to job anymore. I wanted a career that would make me happy and there is no greater gift than to help others,” said Tammaro. “I’d never heard of occupational therapy until a family barbecue when I asked my cousin about his profession. As he described it, occupational therapy checked all the boxes I was seeking.” 

Tammaro selected Rutgers School of Health Professions full-time OTA program because of the University’s prestige and the 16-month completion timeframe. The transition from his past studies and work experience to the rigorous science-based curriculum was a significant challenge. Tammaro spent more time studying in this OTA program than he ever had before—highlighting and re-reading material to make sure he grasped the foundational knowledge required. 

“Going from one career that is not as intense to learning medical terminology and different structures of the human body was quite the adventure,” Tammaro said. “It truly tested how strong I thought I was and showed me we can all take a lot more than we give ourselves credit for. I got through it thanks to my professors who cared about my education and would happily clarify any material outside of class hours.”  

Through his fieldwork with older adults, Tammaro saw how his work allowed older adults to function and live more independently.  

“One client could not lift their arm above their head due to a shoulder injury. They were hesitant about therapy at first, but once I guided them through some range-of-motion exercises and applied a heat pack, the client saw results and was eager for therapy. That client made a big impact on me because that was my goal the whole time—to be able to help people.” 

Tammaro completed the OTA program in January 2022 and looks forward to becoming a certified occupational therapy assistant, COTA.