Meet Some of SHP’s 2022 Graduates

Jason Tammaro
Occupational Therapy Assistant, Class of 2022

Losing His Job in the Pandemic Led Jason Tammaro to Find a Fulfilling Career Path in Occupational Therapy 

When Jason Tammaro graduated from Ramapo College in 2007 with his bachelor’s degree in communication, he thought he was well prepared for the workforce. Unfortunately, as the stock market tanked, so did the job market. Like many entering the workforce during the great recession, Tammaro struggled to gain his footing. He eventually found work in retail and ultimately became a successful sales manager. Unfortunately, eight years later, the company changed its business model and Tammaro became unemployed. 

“I felt lost and unsure of myself. I took work wherever I could find it, but I felt unfulfilled. From that adversity, I realized I could not hop from job to job anymore. I wanted a career that would make me happy and there is no greater gift than to help others,” said Tammaro.

Read More

Bailey LeCour
B.S. in Health Information Management, Class of 2022

Initially Struggling to Find Her Place, Bailey LeCour Has Finally Figured Out Where She Fits

Before Bailey LeCour made her way to the School of Health Professions(SHP), she underwent quite a journey in her academic career. She completed her associate’s degree in 2017 at a community college. Knowing that she was interested in medicine, but a bit squeamish, LeCour then decided to pursue medical imaging at Rutgers Newark. 

“I liked the idea of diagnosing people through images,” said LeCour. “Being a transfer student and holding a full-time job was difficult, but I spent three years dutifully completing the required courses, only to learn that I still had to apply to the highly competitive medical imaging program, and I might not get in.” 

Read More

Lauren Boggs

Lauren Boggs
M.S. in Physician Assistant, Class of 2022

Story coming soon!

Mireille Hamdan
Doctor of Clinical Nutrition, Class of 2022

Story coming soon!

Gustave Gallinot
Doctor of Physical Therapy, Class of 2022

Story coming soon!

Jennifer Chalhoub
M.S. in Clinical Nutrition, Class of 2022

Grad Student Leaves Civil Unrest at Home to Study Nutrition at Rutgers

Two weeks before Jennifer Chalhoub was set to leave Beirut for a master’s degree program at Rutgers University, a blast ripped through Lebanon’s capital city, killing more than 200 people and injuring more than 7,000.

Her family was spared, but Chalhoub was torn about leaving them behind. The country was in the throes of civil unrest, had endured months of lockdown because of the COVID-19 pandemic and now was devastated by one of the world’s largest explosions, caused by tons of improperly stored ammonium nitrate at the Port of Beirut.

“It was very difficult,” said Chalhoub of her decision to leave Lebanon for Newark in August 2020 to begin the Rutgers School of Health Professions Entry-Level Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition program.

Read More