Admissions Answers

We have complied a list of frequently asked questions by prospective students, along with the corresponding answers. We have broken down the questions into sub-sections:

  • Admissions Processes
  • Post Admission
  • Non-Matriculated Students
  • Finanical Aid
  • School Codes
  • Health Insurance
  • Criminal Background Checks
  • On-line Programs
  • Access to Portals
  • Transfer Credits
  • Portfolio Assessments
  • New Student Orientation
  • Residency Answers
  • Workforce Development
  • International Students

If you still have questions, contact us: 973-972-5454 or

The best way to navigate is through your program page. Each program has an “Admissions Criteria” which outlines the process for admission.

The tuition and fees for the school can be found on SHP’s Tuition and Fees web page.

Yes, applicants may apply online through the SHP website (undergraduate or graduate). You will need a credit card to pay the application fee. Applicants to the joint programs in Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Psychology with Kean University cannot apply online.

The acceptable GPA depends on the respective program. Please see the page for the program you are interested in for specific information.

Yes, for only one term. You must call Enrollment Management and request to have the application reviewed for another term by the Program Director. After one year from the term you applied for, you must submit another application and fee.

Admission /denial decisions are made by the Program Director. The number of students accepted varies from program to program as well as other requirements such as GPA and test scores. Please see specific program brochures for more detailed information on admission requirements.

Most programs review the applications shortly after the deadline. Decisions are sent out to students within a few weeks following the reviewal. Other programs will accept students on a rolling basis throughout the year.

If the semester for which you were admitted has not begun yet, you may fill out a deferment form for the future semester in which you would like to start attending classes.  You can only defer to a semester in which the program accepts new students. Your requested program start should be no more than one year from the semester in which you were offered admission. If approved, Enrollment Management will contact your Program Director and send you another acceptance letter.

If the semester for which you have been accepted has already begun, you must re-apply to the program by sending in another application and application fee. Contact Enrollment Management to confirm that they can use the same recommendation letters, resume, transcripts, etc. Updated transcripts will be required if you have completed additional coursework since applying previously. If you are offered admission again, you will receive a new acceptance letter for the appropriate term.

Our policy is to keep your official documents on file for at least two years from when they are initially submitted. However, when reactivating an application or reapplying to Rutgers SHP, you should confirm with Enrollment Management which documents we still have in our possession and if they can be used for your new application file.

You will have to send in another application and application fee. The same external documents can be used from the previous application. If accepted, you will receive another acceptance letter and will have to officially withdraw from the current program you are enrolled in.

With your offer letter you will receive detailed information specific to your program as well as directions to complete the Admissions Checklist by a set date.

All Rutgers SHP programs require that a non-refundable deposit be paid in order to hold your space in the program. This payment can be made online with a check or credit card. This deposit is credited towards your first semester term bill. If you do not register for the semester in which you were admitted and do not apply for and receive approval for deferral to a subsequent admissions cycle, this deposit is forfeited.

The student ID is a generated number that will be used to identify you as an SHP student. Student ID numbers (starts with ‘A’) are located on the Welcome tab of the My.Rutgers portal. In the University Wide ToolBox, there is a link titled “My University ID”. You can access your student ID number within a couple of weeks after you accept admittance and submit the needed forms and make a deposit.

Please Note: Following the submission and processing of the required admissions checklist items, students will receive their “Onboarding Letter” by email within 3-5 business days containing their ID Number, directions for account setup, and registration information. After 5 business days, if you have not received the email, please check your SPAM folder. If the email is not in your SPAM folder, we ask that you contact Enrollment Services-Admissions for assistance. Thank you!

A letter will be sent to your indicated Mailing Address giving you your registration PIN once Enrollment Services receives your tuition deposit. Once you have access to the portal, you will be able to register. If you are in a block scheduled program (one where you take a fixed set up courses per semester), you do not have to register for your courses. You will be automatically registered by Enrollment Management.

You can look on your Requirements for Graduation to determine which courses to select. This is the document that you signed when you were accepted into the program which is also available online in our Course Catalog or contact your Program Director /advisor for guidance.

You must go to the SHP website and download the Admission Deferment Request form and submit to Enrollment Management. Enrollment Management will then contact your Program Director for approval. If the deferment is approved, you will receive another acceptance letter for the appropriate term. Students can only defer for 1 year from the term they were accepted to.

You will have to submit another application and application fee. The same documents (i.e. official transcripts from previous institutions, test scores, letters of recommendation, resume, etc.) can be used from the previous application. If you attended school in the meantime, updated transcripts will have to be submitted. If you are accepted, you will receive another acceptance packet and will have to complete another criminal background check.

  • To obtain an ID card please access the following link: You can use that online portal to easily submit the photo you would like included on your ID Card. All new students must be registered for classes to be eligible for an ID Card. ONLINE LEARNERS ONLY: After uploading your photo, please provide your email confirmation via  Once received, Enrollment Management will send your ID card. All other students have the option to go to any ID card office location to obtain an ID card.
  • ONLINE LEARNERS ONLY: After uploading your photo, please provide your email confirmation via  Once received, Enrollment Management will send your ID card. All other students have the option to go to any ID card office location to obtain an ID card.

You may contact Parking Services at (973) 972-5489 for information on Parking.

Yes, interested students are encouraged to enroll as non-matriculated students at SHP when: * You have missed the program admissions deadline for the upcoming term and your advisor  recommends that you enroll in the current semester. * You would like to sample our health professional classes to determine if you are ready for an SHP degree program. * You would like to start working toward one of the SHP credit-bearing Certificate programs. Note: All applications for non-matriculated enrollment are subject to departmental approval. Ready to Register?  A Step-by-Step overview of the process is on the Center for Continued and Advanced Education (CACE) website and a Non-matriculated Registration form is online during open enrollment periods. 
You are limited to a total of twelve (12) credits as a Non-Matriculated student. Certificate and degree seekers should apply for admission to the desired program before reaching this maximum. Under exceptional circumstances,  the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs can be consulted about approval for additional non-matriculated coursework over 12 credits.  

For information on applying for Financial Aid, please visit University Financial Aid website online. Please note that Financial Aid is administered by the Rutgers of New Jersey for the School of Health Related Professions.

The school code is 2895. The score is good for 2 years. Acceptable scores are 550 for the paper based exam and 79-80 for Internet based. These are minimal scores and may differ by program.

The school code is 3116. You can at program pages for specific GRE requirements.

Yes, by policy you are required to have health insurance coverage if you are full-time or a part-time student participating in a clinical course. You will automatically be billed for the school’s sponsored plan on your tuition bill unless you qualify for a waiver. The current Rutgers health insurance agent is University Health Plans (UHP) and the current carrier is United Health. More Detail

If you are a F/T student or a student participating in a clinical course and you can prove that you have comparable coverage to the University-sponsored plan, request a waiver by completing a waiver form located on the UHP web site before deadline.

Students are expected to actively monitor their billing account through the portal (  If you have been billed, you will see an entry for  the Health Insurance Fee, SHP on your account. Click Path to online bill: Portal log in >Banner Self-Service Channel on  middle column of  Welcome tab> Student Enrollment Services link  in channel >Student Records tab. You can retrieve billing and schedule information within the Student Records tab.

You can find an online waiver form at UHP Waiver Form. The form is automatically sent to UHP.

For information on waiver activation/deadline periods for the 2014-2015 year please click here.

Note: Remember to click on the submit button after you complete the form. It is essential for you to keep a printed copy of the UHP e-mailed confirmation message for your records. After submission, If UHP has any questions during the waiver review period, they will contact you directly.

Yes. You can enroll in the Rutgers/SHP-sponsored plan by completing the Optional Student Enrollment form on the University Health Plans web page and make arrangements for full payment directly to University Health Plan. Rutgers is not responsible for processing this enrollment. (Note: Students enrolling into optional plan through UHP will see in Section 1 of the Enrollment Form on the UHP site that Rutgers verification is requested. You may disregard this section. UHP will verify your eligibility through Rutgers. Please send the enrollment form and payment directly to UHP.) 

You are permitted to enroll in the Rutgers plan after the enrollment deadline if a qualifying event (loss of other coverage) occurs. Examples of qualifying events include age limit under parent’s policy, marriage, etc.. You must supply written proof that your other coverage has terminated through a qualifying event. Once you have terminated from your current insurance carrier, you have 31 days after your termination to enroll in the Rutgers student health insurance plan.

Approximately two weeks after the semester of coverage begins, United Health will e-mail policy information and an ID card to insured parties at the student Rutgers e-mail address.  New policy information should have been sent directly from United Insurance via e-mail.  Students may also contact United Health directly at: (800)-505-4160 to obtain a membership ID number.

Please contact United Health at (800)-505-4160 to request a replacement card.

Yes, you can purchase coverage for your dependents. There are specific deadlines for enrolling your dependents. Go to University Health Plans FAQ for more detail. You can obtain a copy of the dependent enrollment form by logging on to UHP website or call UHP at (800) 437-6448. (Note:  Students enrolling in optional plan through UHP will see in Section 1 of the Enrollment Form on the UHP site that Rutgers verification is requested. You may disregard this section.  UHP will verify your eligibility through Rutgers.  Please send the enrollment form and payment directly to UHP.) 

If you have been covered by this plan for 31 days, your enrollment is not refundable and you will continue to be insured through the period for which you paid.

Your Admissions Checklist will indicate if a Criminal Background Check is required.

Please note as of July 1, 2014 the Criminal Background check process has changed.  See below for information on these changes. Your admission is not considered final until your criminal background check is complete and acceptable to Rutgers School of Health Professions.

Directions as of July 1, 2014 – All incoming students who require a Criminal Background Check will follow the directions here (#4) and self apply with Certified Background, the official approved vendor of RBHS. Any searches completed or paid for in other manners will not be valid for your offer of admission to Rutgers SHP.

Please note as of July 1, 2014 the Criminal Background check process has changed and payments will be made directly to the appoved RBHS Vendor at the time of application.

If your program requires the Criminal Background Check for incoming students, you will pay the fee indicated by Certified Background when you complete the Admissions Checklist. The current fee is $75.

Yes. Criminal Background Checks differ from one another, therefore students are required to complete the one offered by Rutgers.

All students in programs with a clinical component will pay the drug testing fee in their first semester of registration only. The current drug testing fee can be viewed on the current list of tuition and fees for SHP found here. The Drug Test will be ordered as needed by the student online through the approved vendor. Directions for current approved Drug Test vendor.

As of March 2014, on-line students whose programs do not contain a clinical component will no longer be required to submit immunization records. If your program requires you to do a clinical rotation, you will have to see a physician and submit the appropriate forms to Student Health.  Please visit the Student Health website for forms and submission instructions. You can contact Student Health at (973) 972-7687 with any questions.

If you are a full time student or a part time student taking a clinical course you will be required to have health insurance. If you already have insurance, you can waive it at . The insurance must be comparable to the Rutgers sponsored plan. You must pay attention to waiver deadline dates.

No, all web courses are billed at one tuition rate with slight fee differences.  See here for current tuition and fees.

Within three days after Enrollment Services receives your tuition deposit, a letter will be sent to the current mailing address we have on file. The letter will contain a unique pin number and directions to get to the Start Up website. [Start Up processing depends upon finding your date of birth in our official record.] Follow the on-line prompts and when completed, your user name and email address will display.[You are encouraged to print them out for your records] Your next step for entry into the Rutgers Information system is through, the Portal, for access to Moodle e-learning, e-mail, and SHP-specific information. The password you created will be the same for the portal, email, Moodle E-learning System and wireless internet access.

You can get to the log-in page via the SHP website by clicking on the on top of any page.

Click in the email icon on the upper right hand side of the welcome page of the portal.

Find the Moodle E-learning tools link within My App’s portal section. Look on the Portal Header for the My App’s icon, follow link from the Moodle Learning System Icon to connect directly to your individual Moodle home page. Using this path to Moodle eliminates request for re-entry of log-in credentials .

On the log-in page of the portal, find the link that says ” Forgot Password?” under the log-in box. Click on this and follow prompts to answer your secret questions. Follow the steps to change your password. If you don’t know answers to your personal questions or have never set them up, call the Rutgers Technology Service Center at (732) 743-3200 and request to have your portal password changed. After hours: select menu option for Issues with Moodle or E-learning to connect to an operator who is available 24 hours/day for 365 days a year.

Please call our Welcome Center at (973) 972-5454. If no one is available, you can also call the Rutgers Technology Service Center at (732) 743-3200. After hours: select menu option for Issues with Moodle or E-learning to connect to an Operator who is available 24 hours/day for 365 days a year.

After you deposit, you should complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form form on the SHP website and present it to our Program Director with course descriptions from your previous college catalog. The Program Director will evaluate the credit and make the recommendation to the Dean’s office. Once approved, Enrollment Management will post the transfer credits on your transcript. Check the SHP Student Handbook on the number of transfer credits that are allowed.

You should first discuss the situation with our Program Director to see if the experience matches the course. If the Program Director agrees to provide a project for you to earn the credit, you must complete the Application for Portfolio Application Form on the SHP website and submit it to Enrollment Management with a check for half of the tuition of the course. Upon successful completion of the assessment, the Program Director will submit an Evaluation of Portfolio Assessment Form  to Enrollment Management for credit.

Yes, it is required for all new students to complete the New Student Orientation prior to the first day of classes. There is essential information on various subjects that will be very helpful as you begin your enrollment at SHP. Also, there are some required tasks and important information only relevant to certain programs. When accessing the orientation, click on the program within SHP you are enrolling in to see specific information to that program.

If you are applying for in-state residency, you need to go to the SHP website and complete an application (more info found on the Admissions page). The form needs to be notarized and sent to Enrollment Managment along with the following documents: New Jersey Drivers License, New Jersey Automobile Registration, Long Term Lease, and the previous year Income Tax forms of the applicant and parents regardless of the state they were filed in. Enrollment Management may request additional documentation.

Information on Workforce Development process for Rutgers SHP programs can be found on the Admissions page.

Yes, we do accept international students six months prior to the start of the semester. Please see the Office of International Student’s website for more information.

If you have successfully completed English Composition I and II with a grade of C or better, it is not required. If not, a TOEFL must be submitted.

Students who received their secondary and/or college education in the following countries do not have to take the TOEFL exam: Australia , Canada except Quebec Province , New Zealand , Republic of Ireland , and the United Kingdom.

No, international students are not eligible for in state tuition even if they reside in NJ.