The goal of Student Affairs is to assist all SHP students with locating adequate resources to successfully complete all of their coursework. We work closely with each program to facilitate these services. Tutors are recommended by professors and/or program directors.
- Students interesting in tutoring must meet with the Counselor for Student Affairs, please call 973-972-8594 or email email@example.com
- Tutoring is not provided as a substitute for a student's fulfillment of academic responsibilities, such as proof reading or researching.
- Students may request tutoring services through their professor, program director or by contacting the Office of Student Affairs.
- A tutor request form can be obtained from the Counselor for Student Affairs and must be completed (including approval signatures from your program staff) in its entirety and submitted to the Counselor for Student Affairs in order to receive timely service.
Please note: Tutors are not provided for every course. Be sure to follow up with your advisor for additional assistance and resources. The procedure for acquiring a tutor may take a minumum 2-4 weeks or possibly longer. So students are encouraged to requst or inquire about services as soon as possible.
Students concerned about their academic performance are advised to discuss their concerns with the course instructor. The course instructor may recommend additional help by way of peer tutoring.
Getting the Best Results from Tutoring
Tutoring sessions are not a substitute for class attendance. In order to get the best results from tutoring, students should do the following:
- Prepare for the session and complete assignments (as best as possible) before meeting with a tutor.
- Be prepared with questions.
- Review/read class materials.
Meet at a public location on campus.
Bring textbooks, notes, and other necessary materials.
Focus on the course work and be attentive.