My research takes a life-course epidemiological approach to examine the nutritional and biopsychosocial risk factors of cardiometabolic diseases, in particular, obesity and diabetes. One of my primary research interests is to understand how taste and smell perception changes with exposures across the life span (e.g., smoking, viral infections), and act as biological drivers of dietary behaviors and cardiometabolic disease risk. My research also focuses on pregnancy as a critical life event that influences the short-and long-term cardiometabolic health of women and their children. Utilizing longitudinal pregnancy and birth cohort studies, I have identified several dietary and lifestyle risk factors of gestational diabetes, as well as its long-term cardiometabolic consequences in women, including type 2 diabetes and renal dysfunction. My research also examines the intergenerational impact of maternal nutrition and metabolic perturbations on neonatal outcomes, including birthweight, and neonatal length and adiposity.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Department of Clinical and Preventive Nutritional Sciences
65 Bergen Street, Room 923C
Newark, NJ, 07107
- Roberts S, Brody R, Rawal S, Byham-Gray L. Volume-Based vs Rate-Based Enteral Nutrition in the Intensive Care Unit: Impact on Nutrition Delivery and Glycemic Control. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2018 Sep 19. doi: 10.1002/jpen.1428. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gottesman K, Rawal S, Parrott JS, Byham-Gray LD, Touger-Decker R, Radler DR. The Relationships between Physical Activity and Cardiometabolic Risk Factors Among Women Participating in a University-Based Worksite Wellness Program. J Occup Environ Med. 2018 Sep 4. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0000000000001439. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hinkle SN, Tsai MY, Rawal S, Albert PS, Zhang C. HbA1c Measured in the First Trimester of Pregnancy and the Association with Gestational Diabetes. Sci Rep. 2018 Aug 16;8(1):12249. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-30833-8.
- Panuganti PL, Hinkle SN, Rawal S, Grunnet LG, Lin Y, Liu A, Thuesen ACB, Ley SH, Olesen SF, Zhang C (2018). Lactation Duration and Long-Term Thyroid Function: A Study among Women with Gestational Diabetes. Nutrients. 10(7). pii: E938. doi: 10.3390/nu10070938.
- Rawal S, Tsai MY, Hinkle SN, Zhu Y, Lin Y, Panuganti P, Albert PS, Ma RC, Zhang C. Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy and Risk of Gestational Diabetes: a Prospective Study (2018). The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 103(7):2447-2456. doi: 10.1210/jc.2017-02442.
- Zhu Y, Tsai MY, Sun Q, Hinkle SN, Rawal S, Mendola P, Albert PS, Zhang C (2018). Distinct Prospective Associations between Individual Plasma Saturated Fatty Acids and Gestational Diabetes. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 107(6):1017-1026. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqy051.
- Ding M, Chavarro JE, Olsen SF, Lin Y, Ley SH, Bao W, Rawal S, Grunnet LG, Thuesen AC, Mills J, Yeung E, Hinkle SN, Zhang W, Vaag A, Liu A, Hu FB, Zhang C (2018) Genetic Variants of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: a Study of 130 SNPs among 8,940 Women in Two Independent Populations. 61(8):1758-1768. doi: 10.1007/s00125-018-4637-8. Epub 2018 Jun 12.
- Rawal S, Olsen SF, Grunnet LG, Ma RC, Hinkle SN, Granström C, Wu J, Yeung EH, Mills JL, Zhu Y, Bao W, Ley SH, Hu FB, Damm P, Vaag A, Tsai MY, Zhang C (2018). Gestational Diabetes and Renal Function: A Prospective Study with 9 to 16 Year Follow-up after Pregnancy. Diabetes Care. 41(7):1378-1384. doi: 10.2337/dc17-2629.
- Sharafi M, Rawal S, Fernandez ML, Huedo-Medina TB, and Duffy VB (2018). Taste phenotype associates with cardiovascular disease risk factors via diet quality in multivariate modeling. Physiol Behav. 2018 May 8; 194:103-112. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2018.05.005.
- Glennon G, Huedo-Medina T, Rawal S, Hoffman HJ, Litt M, Duffy VB (2017). Cigarette Smoking’s Association with Self-reported Smell Alterations: Analysis of the 2011-2014 U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). Nicotine and Tobacco Research. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntx242
- Zhang C & Rawal S (2017). Dietary Iron Intake, Iron Status, and Gestational Diabetes. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. pii: ajcn156034. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.117.156034.
- Rawal S, Huedo-Medina TB, Hoffman HJ, Swede H, Duffy VB (2017). Structural Equation Modeling of Associations among Taste-Related Risk Factors, Taste Functioning, and Adiposity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 25(4):781-787.
- Zhu Y, Olsen SF, Mendola P, Halldorsson TI, Rawal S, Hinkle SN, Yeung EH, Chavarro JE, Grunnet LG, Granström C, Bjerregaard AA, Hu FB, Zhang C (2017). Maternal Consumption of Artificially-Sweetened Beverages during Pregnancy and Offspring Growth through 7 Years of Age. International Journal of Epidemiology. 46(5):1499-1508.
- Zhu Y, Olsen SF, Mendola P, Halldorsson TI, Granström C, Bjerregaard AA, Yeung EH, Wu J, Rawal S, Chavarro JE, Hu FB, Zhang C (2017). Maternal Dietary Intakes of Refined Grains during Pregnancy and Offspring Growth through the First 7 Years of Life. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 106(1):96-104.
- Bao W, Dar S, Zhu Y, Wu J, Rawal S, Li S, Weir NL, Tsai MY, Zhang C (2017). Plasma lipid levels during pregnancy and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: A longitudinal study. Journal of Diabetes. doi: 10.1111/1753-0407.12563.
- Rawal S, Hinkle SN, Zhu Y, Albert PS, Zhang C (2017). A Longitudinal Study of Sleep Duration in Pregnancy and Subsequent Risk of Gestational Diabetes: Findings from a Prospective, Multiracial cohort. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2017 Apr;216(4):399.e1-399.e8.
- Hinkle SN, Rawal S, Zhu Y, Albert PS, Zhang C (2017). A Validation Study of Self-Reported Gestational Diabetes (GDM) Diagnosis and Treatment. Epidemiology. 28(5):747-752.
- Rawal S, Hinkle SN, Bao W, Zhu Y, Grewal J, Albert PS, Weir NL, Tsai MY, Zhang C (2016). A Longitudinal Study of Body Iron Status during Pregnancy and Risk of Gestational Diabetes: Findings from a Prospective, Multiracial Cohort. Diabetologia. 60(2):249-257.
- Hinkle S, Louis GM, Rawal S, Zhu Y, Albert PS, Zhang C (2016). A Longitudinal Study of Depression and Gestational Diabetes across the Perinatal and Postpartum Period. Diabetologia. 59(12):2594-2602.
- Duffy VB, Rawal S, Park J, Brand MH, Sharafi M, Bolling BW (2016). Characterizing and Improving the Sensory and Hedonic Responses to Polyphenol-rich Aronia Berry Juice. 107:116-125
- Hoffman HJ, Rawal S, Li CM, Duffy VB (2016). New Chemosensory Component in the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES): First-Year Results for Measured Olfactory Dysfunction. Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders 17(2):221-40.
- Zhang C, Rawal S, Chong YS (2016). Risk Factors of Gestational Diabetes – Is Prevention Possible? Diabetologia 59(7):1385-90.
- Rawal S, Hoffman HJ, Bainbridge KE, Huedo-Medina TB, Duffy VB (2016). Prevalence and Risk Factors of Self-Reported Smell and Taste Alterations: Results from the 2011-2012 US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). Chem Senses. 41(1):69-76.
- Rawal S, Hoffman HJ, Honda M, Huedo-Medina TB, Duffy VB (2015). The Taste and Smell Protocol in the 2011-2014 U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES): Test-Retest Reliability and Validity Testing. Chemosens Percept. 8(3):138-48.
- Rawal S, Hoffman HJ, Chapo AK, Duffy VB (2014). Sensitivity and Specificity of Self-reported Olfactory Dysfunction in a Home-based Study of Independent-living, Healthy Older Women. Chemosens Percept. 7(3-4):108-116.
- Swede H, Hajduk AM, Sharma J, Rawal S, Rasool H, Vella AT, Tobet RE, Stevens RG (2014). Baseline Serum C-Reactive Protein and Death from Colorectal Cancer in the NHANES III Cohort. Int J Cancer. 134(8):1862-70.
- Rawal S, Hayes JE, Wallace MR, Bartoshuk LM, Duffy VB (2013). Do Polymorphisms in the TAS1R1 Gene Contribute to Broader Differences in Human Taste Intensity? Chem Senses. 38(8):719-728.