Dr. Daneault obtained his BSc and MSc in Kinesiology at the University of Quebec in Montreal. He then completed a PhD in Neuroscience at McGill University and a postdoctoral fellowship in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Harvard Medical School. His research focuses on better understanding motor behavior in health and disease using technology in order to improve/optimize movements of individuals with chronic diseases, such as Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, dystonia, cerebral palsy, and stroke, through physical therapy and exercise. His laboratory tools include motion capture, wearable sensors, electromyography, brain stimulation, and neuroimaging. The long-term goal is to develop tools based on quantitative evidence to personalize interventions for individuals with neurological disorders.
Current research projects within the lab which are open for recruitment are:
Dopamine function in children with cerebral palsy: Recruiting children aged 9-18 with cerebral palsy to identify the role of dopamine function in motor learning.
Characteristics of motor control: Recruiting healthy adults to better understand how sensory information and the environment affect motor control.
Smartphone application for the differential diagnosis and long-term monitoring of movement disorders: Recruiting individuals with Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, Essential tremor, Primary focal dystonia, Spino-cerebellar ataxia, and Functional movement disorder to determine whether data collected from a custom-designed smartphone application can be used to provide accurate monitoring of symptoms.
Yoga for the management of anxiety: Recruiting children and adults with anxiety to identify whether yoga, through telerehabilitation, can be an effective approach to the management of anxiety symptoms.
Name: Jean-Francois Daneault
Title: Assistant Professor and Director of the Motor Behavior Laboratory
Format requested: vertical
Name: Aurora James-Palmer
Title: PhD student
Format requested: vertical
Name: Abhyank Panwar
Title: Research assistant
If you are interested in participating in any of our studies please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by contacting our volunteer line at 973-972-9925, or by filling the form by clicking on the following link: XX.
- Refereed Original Article in Journal
- Jung HT, Daneault JF, Lee H, Kim K, Kim B, Park S, Ryu T, Kim Y, Lee SI; Remote Assessment of Cognitive Impairment Level based on Serious Mobile Game Performance: An Initial Proof of Concept. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics Epub.
- Miranda JGV, Daneault JF, Vergara-Diaz G, de Oliveira e Torres AFS, Quixadá AP, Fonseca ML, Vieira JPBC, dos Santos VS, Figueiredo TC, Pinto EB, Bonato P, Peña N; Complex Upper-Limb Movements Are Generated by Combining Motor Primitives that Scale with the Movement Size. Scientific Reports 8(1):12918, 2018.
- Daneault JF, Carignan B, Sadikot AF, Duval C; Subthalamic deep brain stimulation and dopaminergic medication in Parkinson’s disease: impact on inter-limb coupling; Neuroscience; 335:9-19, 2016.
- Duval C, Daneault JF, Hutchison W, Sadikot AF; A brain network model explaining tremor in Parkinson’s disease; Neurobiology of Disease; 85:49-59, 2016.
- Daneault JF, Carignan B, Sadikot AF, Duval C; Inter-limb coupling during diadochokinesis in Parkinson’s disease and Huntington’s disease; Neuroscience Research; 97:60-68, 2015.
- Daneault JF, Sadikot AF, Barbat-Artigas S, Aubertin-Leheudre M, Jodoin N, Panisset M, Duval C; Physical activity in advanced Parkinson’s disease: impact of subthalamic stimulation; Journal of Parkinson’s disease; 5(1):85-93, 2015.
- Daneault JF, Duval C, Barbat-Artigas S, Aubertin-Leheudre M, Jodoin N, Panisset M, Sadikot AF; Subthalamic stimulation improves motor function but not home and neighbourhood mobility; Movement Disorders; 29(14):1816-1819, 2014.
- Daneault JF, Carignan B, Sadikot AF, Duval C; Are quantitative and clinical measurements of bradykinesia related in advanced Parkinson’s disease?; Journal of Neuroscience Methods; 219(2): 220-223, 2013.
- Daneault JF, Carignan B, Codère CE, Sadikot AF, Duval C; Using a smart phone as a standalone platform for detection and monitoring of pathological tremors; Frontiers in Human Neuroscience; 6:357, 2012.
- Carignan B, Daneault JF, Duval C; The effect of changes in joint angle on the characteristics of physiological tremor; Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology; 22(6):954-960, 2012.
- Carignan B, Daneault JF, Duval C; Organization of upper-limb tremor; European Journal of Applied Physiology; 112(4):1269-1284, 2012.
- Daneault JF, Carignan B, Duval C; Finger tremor can be voluntarily reduced during a tracking task; Brain Research; 1370:164-174, 2011.
- Daneault JF, Carignan B, Robert M, Duval C; Changes in physiological tremor associated with an epileptic seizure: a case report; Journal of Medical Case Reports; 5:449, 2011.
- Daneault JF, Carignan B, Duval C; Bilateral effect of a unilateral voluntary modulation of physiological tremor; Clinical Neurophysiology; 121(5):734-743, 2010.
- Carignan B, Daneault JF, Duval C; Quantifying the importance of high frequency oscillations in physiological tremor; Experimental Brain Research; 202(2):299-306, 2010.
- Carignan B, Daneault JF, Duval C; The amplitude of physiological tremor can be voluntarily modulated; Experimental Brain Research; 194:309-316, 2009.
- B. Books, Monographs and Chapters
- Carignan B, Daneault JF, Duval C; Measuring tremor with a smartphone; In: Rasooly A, Herold KE (eds), Mobile Health Technologies: Methods and Protocols; Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1256; Humana Press, New York, NY; Pages 359-374; 2015.
- Daneault JF, Carignan B, Rahimi F, Sadikot AF, Duval C; Chapter 8: Postural tremors; In: Manto M, Grimaldi G (eds), Contemporary Clinical Neuroscience: Mechanisms and Emerging Therapies of Tremor Disorders, Part 2; Springer, New York, NY; Pages 133-150; 2013.
- C. Other Refereed Articles (Reviews, Editorials, Conference Proceedings)
- Jung HT, Lee H, Kim K, Kim B, Park S, Ryu T, Kim Y, Daneault JF, Lee SI; Predicting Cognitive Impairment Level after a Serious Game-based Therapy in Chronic Stroke Survivors; IEEE International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (IEEE BHI 2019); 2019.
- Williams NA, Steiner E, Nanglo T, Jasim M, Daneault JF, Boyer K, Lee SI; A Low-Cost Wearable System to Estimate Free-Living 3D Ground Reaction Force; IEEE International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (IEEE BHI 2019); 2019.
- Chandra A, Zabounidis R, Tung K, Jung HT, Daneault JF, Lee SI; SmartDiagnostics: A Mobile Application for the Monitoring and Management of Movement Disorders; IEEE International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (IEEE BHI 2019); 2019.
- Oubre B, Daneault JF, Jung HT, Park, J, Ryu T, Kim Y, Lee SI; Estimating Quality of Reaching Movement Using a Wrist-Worn Inertial Sensor; 9th International IEEE EMBS Conference On Neural Engineering (NER19); 2019.
- Daneault JF; Could wearable and mobile technology improve the management of Essential tremor?; Frontiers in Neurology; 9:257, 2018.
- Lee SI, Boyer K, Daneault JF; Estimating Ground Reaction Force and Center of Pressure during Gait using a Low-Cost Insole; IEEE Biomedical and Health Informatics Conference (IEEE BHI 2018); 2018.
- Lee SI, Jung HT, Woo PJ, Jugyeong J, Ryu T, Kim Y, dos Santos VS, Miranda JGV, Daneault JF; Towards the Ambulatory Assessment of Movement Quality in Stroke Survivors using a Wrist-worn Inertial Sensor; 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society; 2018.
- Woo PJ, Jung HT, Daneault JF, Park SJ, Ryu T, Kim Y, Lee SI; Feasibility of Using the RAPAEL Smart Board for Upper Limb Therapy in Stroke Survivors: A Randomized Controlled Trial; 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society; 2018.
- Daneault JF, Lee SI, Golabchi FN, Patel S, Shih LC, Paganoni S, Bonato P; Estimating bradykinesia in Parkinson’s disease with a minimum number of wearable sensors; Proceedings of IEEE/ACM CHASE 2017; 2017.
- Espay AJ, Bonato P, Nahab F, Maetzler W, Dean JM, Klucken J, Eskofier BM, Merola A, Horak F, Lang AE, Reilmann R, Giuffrida J, Nieuwboer A, Horne M, Little MA, Litvan I, Simuni T, Dorsey ER, Burak MA, Kubota K, Kamondi A, Godinho C, Daneault JF, Mitsi G, Krinke L, Hausdorff JM, Bloem BR, Papapetropoulos S, MDS Task Force on Technology; Technology in Parkinson disease: Challenges and Opportunities; Movement Disorders; 31(9):1272-1282,2016.
- Tran D, Pajaro-Blazquez M, Daneault JF, Gallegos JG, Pons J, Fregni F, Bonato P, Zafonte R; Combining dopaminergic facilitation with robot-assisted upper-limb therapy in stroke survivors: a focused review; American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; 95(6):459-474, 2016.
- Lauzé M, Daneault JF, Duval C; The effect of physical activity in Parkinson’s disease: a review; Journal of Parkinson’s Disease; 6(4):685-698, 2016.
- Lee SI, Daneault JF, Weidert L, Bonato P; A novel flexible wearable sensor for estimating joint-angles; Proceedings of 13th IEEE International Conference on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks; 2016.
- Eskofier BM, Lee SI, Daneault JF, Golabchi FN, Ferreira-Carvalho G, Vergara-Diaz G, Sapienza S, Costante G, Kautz T, Kluchen J, Bonato P; Recent machine learning advancements in sensor-based mobility analysis: deep learning for Parkinson’s disease assessment; Proceedings of 38th annual IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society; 2016.
- Kanzler C, Lee SI, Daneault JF, Golabchi FN, Hannink J, Pasluosta C, Eskofier BM, Bonato P; Home monitoring of drug response in patients with Parkinson’s disease using wearable sensors; Wireless Health; 2016.
- Daneault JF, Vergara-Diaz G, Lee SI; Clinical management of drug-induced dyskinesia: why current approaches may need to be changed to optimize quality of life; European Medical Journal Reviews; 1(4):62-69, 2016.
- Lee SI, Daneault JF, Golabchi FN, Patel S, Shih L, Bonato P; A novel technique for assessing the level of drug-induced dyskinesia using wearable sensors; Proceedings of 37th annual IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society; 8087-8090, 2015.
- Lee SI, Ozsecen MY, Della Trofolla L, Daneault JF, Patel S, Bonato P; Activity detection in uncontrolled free-living conditions using a single accelerometer; Proceedings of 12th IEEE International Conference on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks; 1-6, 2015.
- Adans-Dester C, Scarton A, Daneault JF, Vega V, Severini G, Sawacha Z, Della Croce U, Bonato P; Evaluation of a robotic knee brace during the performance of functional tasks in stroke survivors; Gait and Posture: Italian Society of Clinical Movement Analysis (SIAMOC) annual congress; 42S: S1–S27, 2015.
- Daneault JF, Carignan B, Sadikot AF, Panisset M, Duval C; Drug-induced dyskinesia in Parkinson’s disease. Should success in clinical management be a function of improvement of motor repertoire rather than amplitude of dyskinesia?; BMC Medicine; 11:76, 2013.
- Carignan B, Daneault JF, Duval C; Assessing drug-induced dyskinesia in the clinic, the laboratory and the natural environment of patients; Journal of Parkinson’s Disease; 1(4): 329-337, 2011.