Mental Health Interventions: The overall goal of my research is to support individuals with mental illnesses to live fulfilling and complete lives in the communities of their choosing. To this end my research interests focus on identifying effective interventions to help individuals achieve their personal goals. To date my research has focused on employment of individuals with mental illnesses, co-morbid health concerns and interventions, the effectiveness of anti-stigma campaigns, and the role of peer providers in the mental health system. Additionally, I am beginning research in the area of implementation science and evaluating effective methods and strategies to promote the uptake of empirically supported interventions within practice.
- Murphy, A. A., Malenczak, D., & Ghajar, M. Identifying challenges and benefits of online education for students with a psychiatric disability. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, In Press.
- Barrett, N., Murphy, A. A., Zechner, M., & Malenczak, D. Faculty mentorship in allied health schools: An evaluation of a mentorship initiative. Journal of Allied Health, 48(2), 134-139, 2019.
- Gill, K. J., & Murphy, A. A. Jail diversion for persons with serious mental illness coordinated by a prosecutor’s office. BioMed Research International. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/7917616, 2017.
- Mullen, M. G., Thompson, J. L., Murphy, A. A., Malenczak, D., Giacobbe, G., Karyczak, S., and Holloway, K.H. Evaluation of a cognitive remediation intervention for college students with psychiatric conditions. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 40(1), 103-107, 2017.
- Gill, K. J., Zechner, M., Anderson, E. Z., Swarbrick, M., & Murphy, A. A. Wellness for Life: A pilot of an inter-professional intervention to address metabolic syndrome in adults with serious mental illness. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal. doi: 10.1037/prj0000172. 2016.
- Burns-Lynch, B., Gill, K. J., Murphy, A. A., & Brice, G., Jr. Persons in recovery, family members, and staff perspectives of psychiatric crisis needs. American Journal of Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 17, 114-127, 2014.
- Gill, K. J., & Murphy, A. A. Psychiatric/Psychosocial rehabilitation (PSR) education: Academic and Professional. Current Psychiatry Reviews, 9, 260-269, 2013.
- Pratt, C., Lu, W., Murphy, A., & Swarbrick, M. Selective provision of Illness Management and Recovery modules. American Journal of Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 14, 245-258, 2011.
- Swarbrick, M., Murphy, A. A., Zechner, M., Spagnolo, A. B. & Gill, K. J. Wellness coaching: A new role for peers. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 34, 328-331, 2011.
- Spagnolo, A. B., Dolce, J., Roberts, M. M., Murphy, A. A., Gill, K. J., Librera, L., & Lu, W. A study of the perceived barriers to the implementation of circles of support. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 34, 233-242, 2011.
- Roberts, M. M., Murphy, A., Dolce, J., Spagnolo, A., Gill, K. J., Lu, W., & Librera, A study of the impact of social support development on job acquisition and retention among people with psychiatric disabilities. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 33, 203-207, 2010.
- Gill, K. J., Murphy, A. A., Burns-Lynch, W., & Swarbrick, M. Delineation of the job role of peer support specialists in the Veterans Administration. Journal of Rehabilitation, 75(3), 23-31, 2009.
- Gill, K. J., Murphy, A. A., Zechner, M. R., Swarbrick, M., & Spagnolo, A. B. Co-morbid psychiatric and medical disorders: Challenges and strategies. Journal of Rehabilitation, 75(3), 32-40, 2009.
- Spagnolo, A. B., Murphy, A. A., & Librera, L. A. Reducing stigma by meeting and learning from people with mental illness. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 31(3), 186-193, 2008.
- Shean, G., Murphy, A., & Meyer, J. Social cognition and symptom dimensions. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 193(11), 751-755, 2005.
- Gill, K. J., Murphy, A., & Birkman, J. Developing an attitude: The role of psychiatric rehabilitation education. American Journal of Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 8, 135-149, 2005.
- Murphy, A. A., Mullen, M. G., & Spagnolo, A. B. Enhancing individual placement and support: Promoting job tenure by integrating natural supports and supported education. American Journal of Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 8, 37-61, 2005.
Books, Monographs, and Chapters
- Spagnolo, A. B., Mullen, M. G., & Murphy, A. A. Performance Improvement. Psychiatric Rehabilitation in Practice: A CPRP Preparation and Skills Workbook. USPRA: Baltimore, MD; 2006.
- Zambo Anderson, E., Gill, K., Zechner, M., Swarbrick, M., & Murphy, A. (2015). Wellness for Life: An inter-professional intervention to address wellness in persons with severe mental illness. Physiotherapy, 101 (Supplement 1), e1711-e1712. doi: 10.1016/j.physio.2015.03.125
- Zambo Anderson, E., Gill, K., Zechner, M., Swarbrick, M. & Murphy, A. (2016). Wellness for Life: An interprofessional intervention to address metabolic syndrome in adults with serious mental illness. Fisioterapia, 38 (Supplemental), 16.
- Roberts, M., Murphy, A., & Gill, K. Report to the Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services: Findings of the Focus Group Project. 2013.
- Gill, K. J., & Murphy, A. A. Report on Union County Jail Diversion Program 2006-2011 to the Union County Prosecutor’s Office. 2011.
- Burns-Lynch, B., Murphy, A. A., Gill, K. J., & Brice, G., Jr. Report to the New Jersey Division of Mental Health Services: Peer Crisis Intervention Literature Review, Semi-structured Survey, and Recommendations for Peer Crisis Alternative Services in New Jersey. 2009.
- HERS Institute, Higher Education Leadership Development for Women, 2019
- Rutgers, OASIS Leadership and Professional Development Program, 2018
Faculty Gonfalonier Honoree
Rutgers, School of Health Professions
Outstanding Academic Performance Award
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
School of Health Related Professions
Ph.D. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program, 2013
Susquehanna University Departmental Honors
Department of Psychology
B.A. Program, 1998
Susquehanna University Department Award
Department of Philosophy
B.A. Program, 1998
Summa Cum Laude, Susquehanna University
B.A. Program, 1998