spacer_image spacer_image spacer_image

Rutgers SHP
Rutgers SHP Home
About Us


International Students

To access the International Services main website please click here.

I-20 Quick Facts

  • You must complete the “Request for I-20” found on the International Services website and submit it with the required supporting documents. Please note that all applications for the form I-20 require a 15-day processing time.
  • Federal regulations prohibit the university from issuing an I-20 form if you are admitted to a Distance (Web-Based) program.
  • If you are transferring to Rutgers from another U.S. institution and you wish to obtain a form I-20, you must complete the “Request for I-20” which can be found on the International Services main website. You must also complete the “transfer recommendation” which is attached to the application form. Transfer of the F-1 status must be initiated within 60 days of completion of your current program or expiration of the Optional Practical Training (OPT). For more information on how to transfer your SEVIS record, visit the International Services website at
  • Consider whether you have the financial resources necessary to cover the cost of your program. A major part of obtaining the form I-20 is being able to verify financial ability to cover your tuition, living expenses and any other fees imposed by the University. If you are unable to document financial capability, you will be unable to obtain the form I-20.
  • If you are outside the U.S. at the time you apply to the University, take into consideration the amount of time it will take for you to obtain the form I-20, apply for the F-1 visa, and secure a flight to enter the U.S. by the start of your program. You should have realistic expectations regarding the time it will take for you to enter the U.S.
  • For additional assistance you must contact an international student advisor in the International Services office. You can reach and advisor by calling 973-972-6138 or send an email to

Additional Information

  • All new F-1 students accepted to Rutgers are required to attend an orientation program.  F-1 student orientations are offered at the start of the Spring, Summer, and Fall terms. Details regarding the orientation are sent to the students with their I-20.
  • Federal regulations require F-1 students accepted to undergraduate programs to enroll for a minimum of 12 credits every term (Please note that some undergraduate programs have a higher enrollment requirement. You must consult your academic advisor or program director for more information on your specific program). Students accepted to graduate programs must consult their academic advisor or program directors for information on specific program requirements.
  • The University has no limitation on the number of web-based courses you are allowed to take in any given semester. However, in accordance with F-1 regulations, only ONE web based course or 3 web based credits hours will count towards fulfilling the full time enrollment requirement.
  • You should always speak with your Program Director or Advisor in regards to which courses you should be registering for. Any questions regarding your international status
  • All full-time SHP students are required to have health insurance coverage. Also, all part-time students who participate in a clinical experience are required to have insurance coverage. For further information regarding Health Insurance please visit the Insurance Information section of the SHP website by clicking here.  


  • International students must obtain an official evaluation of their credentials unless applicants have a degree or sufficient coursework from a regionally accredited US college or university. World Education Services (WES) is the recommended vendor and in some cases required for certain programs.
  • For further information on the "Transcript Policy" please click here.

English Proficiency

  • Regardless of US residency status, an English proficiency examination is required of all students whose secondary schooling has been outside the US in a country where English is not the principal language. Score reports must be from a test taken within the past two years and submitted directly to the Office of Admission from the testing service.
  • SHP accepts Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other standardized tests with prior approval from the Office of Admissions to determine the English proficiency of its International applicants.
  • For further information on the "Applicant Fluency in English Policy" and acceptable scores please click here.





Office of International Services

Office of International Services serves the specialized needs of international students and scholars and their dependents.

* For any questions, please visit their website @

or call 973-972- 6138




Rutgers School of Health Professions



© 2013, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.


spacer_image spacer_image