In November 1973, the College of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Board of Trustees approved a concept document for the establishment of the CMDNJ-School of Allied Health Professions (CMDNJ-SAHP). In October 1976, the document was approved by the New Jersey Department of Higher Education and the School became a separate entity within the University offering eleven certificate programs on the Newark Campus. To better reflect its broadened scope, in 1981 the SAHP became the CMDNJ-School of Health Professions (CMDNJ-SHRP).
In 1987 the School applied to the New Jersey Board of Higher Education to seek degree-granting authority. Subsequently, in February 1988, the School attained approval and initiated a B.S. in Clinical Laboratory Sciences with nine collaborating public and independent colleges. The Flexibility Legislation of 1992 enabled the University to extend its degree granting authority to include all undergraduate programs.
On July 1, 2013, the New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act goes into effect, integrating Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, with all units of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ), except University Hospital in Newark and the School of Osteopathic Medicine in Blackwood. The Rutgers Biomedical and Health Science (RBHS) was created and composed of legacy UMDNJ units and Rutgers School of Pharmacy, College of Nursing, and Institute for Health, Health Care Policy and Aging Research. This historic restructuring strengthens biomedical education and research statewide and foster new public-private partnerships with industries that are critical to New Jersey’s economic prosperity. The ultimate result will be a research university that will rank among the most prominent and elite institutions in America.
Today, the Rutgers School of Health Professions is composed of 40 academic programs and numerous specializations within the program housed in nine departments. Many of these programs are possible through joint efforts with other colleges and universities throughout New Jersey.
- Six doctoral programs: Entry level Doctor of Physical Therapy; Ph.D in Biomedical Informatics; Ph.D in Health Sciences; Doctor of Clinical Nutrition; Ph.D. in Psychiatric Rehabilitation; and, Doctor of Clinical Laboratory Science
- Ten masters programs: Master of Science in Biomedical Informatics; Master of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition; Master of Science in Clinical Trial Sciences; Master of Science in Health Sciences; Master of Science in Health Care Management; Master of Science Physician Assistant; Master of Science in Psychiatric Rehabilitation; Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling; and, Master of Science in Radiologist Assistant.
- Two graduate certificates: Dietetic Internship and Health Care Informatics.
- Six baccalaureate degree programs: Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences; Bachelor of Science in Allied Health Technologies; Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Sciences; Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management; Bachelor of Science in Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Psychology; and, Bachelor of Science in Medical Imaging Sciences
- Five associate degree Programs: Dental Hygiene, Psychosocial Rehabilitation, Respiratory Care (North) Respiratory Therapy (South) and Occupational Therapy Assistant.
- Ten undergraduate certificate programs: Cardiac Sonography; Cytotechnology; Dental Assisting; Diagnostic Medical Sonography; Dietary Management; Medical Coding; Medical Laboratory Science; Nuclear Medicine Technology; Radiologic Imaging Modalities; and Vascular Sonography.
Currently, over 1600 full and part-time students are enrolled in the Rutgers School of Health Professions. The School offers educational programs on four Rutgers campuses: Health Sciences at Newark, Piscataway, Scotch Plains, and Blackwood; and our fifth On-line campus. In addition, the School offers non-matriculated courses and certificate programs through the Center for Advanced and Continuing Education.
We welcome you to discover your potential at Rutgers School of Health Professions!